Advertise here

Welcome Guest (Register -  Login)  Display List of Forum Members Memberlist Search The Forum Search forum topics Search psychologists Search psychologists Help Help
 Navigation

Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Latest Forum Posts

We have 5289 registered users.
The newest registered user is Jacquie.

Our users have posted a total of 2794 articles within 1049 topics in 15 forums.
Last post by Jacquie

Student Assistance
 Psychotherapy.co.za - Discussion GroupsStudent Assistance
Subject Topic: Psychoanalysis in South Africa Post ReplyPost New Topic
 Psychoanalysis in South Africa
<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Don_Quixote
Posted: 2010 April 17 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Don_Quixote

Group: Member
I am a student doing my honours in psychology, hoping to do my clinical masters (next year, or one day).

I'm interested in what psychoanalytic/psychodynamic frameworks seem to underlie clinical research/training in South Africa (if any).

I heard via the grapevine from academics at my institution that a bid is being made to gain official recognition from the IPA in South Africa and to try to establish an institute here. Currently, it seems some training institutions offer psychodynamic approaches to therapy - if more details on this could be given, it would be a great help. Also, details on proposed schools would be of great help as well.

Simply, I'm very interested in Lacan, and am wondering if there is any possibility to follow this research interest up within the clinical sphere in South Africa. It seems narrative therapy has come into the clinical scene, as well as the psychoanalytic scene, with psychodynamic therapy to some extent emphasising various narrative approaches and an importance on languge (specifically within our multicultural setting). Has Lacan even been considered at all? It seems a Lacanian approach would be better than an obfuscated mixing of object relations, relational, narrative, discourse analytic etc. frameworks.

I hope this is clear. I'm just beginning to investigate this. Please post questions if anything is not clear.

Thanks for the help.

DQ

View Don_Quixote's Profile Search for other posts by Don_Quixote Back to Top

Hermias
Posted: 2010 April 20 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Hermias

Hey Funny Guy (Don Quixote)

I did my masters (clinical psychology) at WITS and they are 100% Psycho-dynamic!

Was 'n big learning curve for me since I was schooled in different other psychology streams, but MAN was it worth it!

I also heard (but I cannot vouch for it) that Pretoria Uni also uses psycho-dynamic approaches in clinical training. (Whether this is partially so or full fledged I cannot say.)

Hope it helps!

View Hermias's Profile Search for other posts by Hermias Back to Top

Hermias
Posted: 2010 April 20 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Hermias

Hey Funny Guy (Don Quixote)

I studied clinical psychology masters at WITS who is 100% psycho-dynamic.

Coming from different psychological approaches prior to doing my masters, this was quite a learning curve, but SOOO valuable and absolutely essential.

I heard that apparently Pretoria Uni also uses the psycho-dynamic approach to clinical training, but I will not vouch for it. Check it out!

I trust this will help!

Regards

View Hermias's Profile Search for other posts by Hermias Back to Top

David L Wilson
Posted: 2010 April 23 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote David L Wilson

Group: Senior Member
Dear Dq

Dr Gavin Ivey at Wits is a psychoanytic psychologist. I think he is on Sabbatical, and Prof Jacki Watts is co ordinating the new doctorate by publication PhD course. In the ages since I was doing my masters, I recall several academics who had mastered Lacan's often arcane writings and shared their insights with us. Certainly, I have found Lacan's concepts invaluable in clinical work, especially the mirror phase and the notion of the unconscious as strucured like a language, which also provides an important way of linking psychoanalysis to post modern social crriiques of adaptive ego psychology. You are correct, There is an attempt to start psychoanalytic traing accerited by the IPA in South Africa. Prof Mark Solms is spearheading this initiative along with Sue Levy. Prof Solms is located in Cape town and it seems one would have to enter into a training analysis obviously. Tony Hamburger in Norwood runs the Johannesburg Psychoanalytic Study group, so I imagine contacting any of these people would be the best way to get more specific answers to your questions. Hope this helps. Regards David Wilson

View David L Wilson's Profile Search for other posts by David L Wilson Back to Top

<< Prev Topic Student Assistance Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version